At a glance

At a glance, it probably seemed as though the conversation brimmed

with understanding; nods and smiles abound
And it really would have taken a deeper look to break in through
that veneer and see: some things are spoken without sight or sound
It was foolish to believe that I could have perceived what
all was really happening without another glance.

At a glance, my thoughts were drawn the same way my words yawned
across the gap; and everyone understood
What I wanted them to understand, and I planned to ensure
that it went on; managed well
It should have been no surprise then, that my surmise would end
the moment you gave it more than a glance.

At a glance, you saw behind, beyond and through the lined lead walls
I had built so well, and you understood
What I thought would never go over well, and had tried to cover in fear:
that insight would mean a goodbye
But instead, you thought this fool could be lovingly schooled in the art
of naming the unnamed, seeing, and being seen -- at a glance.



*stock photo, ULead Library

Comments

Don G. said…
OK ... I'm trying to figure out if I can subscribe to your blog, so it just shows up in my email every time ....

Anyway ... "HI Joel!"
Anonymous said…
wow
Anonymous said…
is there music to go with this?

Popular posts from this blog

bottom line

for my card-carrying friend