through the jet plane window

through the little window I saw a diminished world
where everything was smaller than it should be
the ants were driving cars
and places that had seemed far
went by quickly underneath me

like sweet potatoes, the clouds were laid out
capped with untoasted marshmallows
the wings shone brightly there
catching the sun's hot stare
the engine's droning like a cello


i see too much from this tiny stratospheric window
and yet, I never see quite enough
I can't see enough of you
or watch the things you do
or ever view the depths of your love

my ticket has me captive in the middle seat
wishing I could be flying outside
instead of looking through the windows
going whichever way the wind blows
I would instantly be at your side

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bottom line

for my card-carrying friend