freckled memory

each freckle there upon you skin
reminds me of the days when
we played in the sun
we were young

our sun-bleached hair getting wet
these things are with me yet
they're far away
from today

memories of simple things
bracelets and rings
songs we'd sing
together

popcorn with movie stars
sitting on top of the car
and going farther
than we'd better

watching folks kneel and repent
in those gospel tents
that Jesus sent
at summer's end

finding an enduring faith
learning a walk of grace
and just a taste
of love's way

each freckle there upon you skin
the smiles you give me when
you kiss me on the chin
i'm memorizing them

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bottom line

for my card-carrying friend